Friday, August 14, 2015

The coulda-woulda theory


I don't remember the last time i shared a video on my blog. However, i felt like sharing this piece by Marlon Brando from the movie On the Waterfront. If you haven't seen the film yet, you should try to watch it. It's been around for more than 60 years now and has inspired thousands of actors around the world. As far as the storyline goes, if you've seen Aamir Khan's Ghulam, you'll understand how Bollywood just can't help getting inspired by Hollywood. Anyway, there are three excuses why i posted this particular video: 

1. It's one of those monologues that have stayed with me for years now. The way Red (The Shawshank Redemption) or Tyler Durden (Fight Club) refuse to leave me alone. Their words are always around, poking fun at my realities and their sheer resemblance with cinema every now and then. Na, i'm not complaining. 
2. There's a reason why i feel Marlon Brando (along with Meryl Streep) is the finest actor of all time. Just pay attention to the change in his expressions as he delivers one line after another. He's not a plain vanilla. The manner in which he stares and lowers his gaze, twitches his chin, tilts his head and relaxes his cheeks. Wonder how much a camera misses the likes of him! 
3. You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. Let's face it. Just that i don't have anybody to blame, unlike him. 

No comments: