Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Connect, disconnected

Native place, by design, holds a significant place in our existence. "Where do you come from?" can become a defining question when one bothers to answer. If you had asked me that question a decade ago, i'd have said Manipal but my answer is a bit different now. I boldly tell people that my mother is my native place before breaking into a lecture how every human being is basically an extension of a female being. The irony lies in the manner how womenfolk are treated in our world! Some things never change. But what changes is how one perceives his/her native place. I have a friend who hails from Mangalore but he doesn't really have a connect with it. In his three-decade long life, he's been to Mangalore five times and all for the sole reason of attending funerals. Yes, unbelievable as it may sound. But that's not the worst part. He missed three of those funerals for one reason or the other. Now, THAT'S the worst part. 

No comments: